Tuesday, February 22, 2005

1st day in Porto

So I'm in Villa Nova De Gaia, where I await 3 o'clock so that I can call back to Dow's and talk to someone that speaks English. I may speak good Portuguese when I'm face to face but over the phone I have some problems. I just went to a place nearby where 2 years ago Gab and I went for lunch, a place where you have a view over the Doro. Unfortunately Gab was not with me and the food sucked. A Vinho Verde that was ok at best and Polvo con Arroz, Rice with octopus. It was way to salty and I saw another patron send it back for this reason after I forced myself to eat some of it. Oh well, the steak looked good and next time I'll make sure to order that. Anyways, I hope to con my way into a private tasting of some Dows ports. Hopefully it works and I can try something good. right now it's a small café with a small coffee, and a loud TV. Oh well, I don't want to walk to far up the hill to Dow's until I know that I’m going to get a tour. It's a long ways up and there is plenty to see and do if I don't. tomorrow I go to meet with a friend of a friend who wants to export his wine. Then I think that I have a free ride up the coast to a small town in Tui where I hope to try some wines of the Riax Biaxes(sp?). After which I will find a way to get back on track to Toro and the Ribiera del Duero, which is just east of port country. My Portuguese is surprisingly good after so long, and I think it comes down to confidence knowing that I’m at least in the ballpark when I try to communicate. In Spain I just don't have the confidence to speak Spanish and thus am hesitant to try. I know I heed to get over this fear but in the end it's a matter of time and nothing more. I'll get it I just don’t know when or where. till soon, Ryan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home