Tuesday, February 08, 2005

A lot of updates and thoughts

So a quick update on what’s been going on. First off the Sat befote I departed the Parents decided to take me out to dinner my choice….So to try something different before I left we decided to try Al Vento. It’s a new Italian place that has been getting lot’s of good reviews. In my opinion well worth the praise. We got there and tried to get a tasting menu put together, and after a lot of batering we were successful, bring on the food! To start I had brought 2 wines a highly rated Vouvray and a Barbera d’asti both of which ran about 25 dollars. Quickly we were given a small round of baguette with a two olive tapenade on it, very rich and a bit overpowering but well worth it. Almost on top of this we moved to a samller plate of their appetizers, yum, phillo dough wrapped prawn in a pickled eggplant compote. Next a small crap cake with more crab than dough and nice treat and surprise with some yummy sauces drizzled around. On the same plate we had a small baguette round with a raw salmon and pineapple treat, perfect and in the end I was surprised how much the wine went with everything. Incredible how the pineapple melded with the wine. After a brief pause we were set to have a celery root salad, thin strips stacked with parmesean and drizzled with olive oil and lemon adding a touch of basil to round it out. This was probably my favorite part of the meal, crisp delicate and full of flavor, maybe if mom used celery root instead of celery I could eat her cashew hot dish! Moving on my mom’s favorite was next with parpadelle(sp?) paste very thin and with a bit of resistance in every bite, surrounded by a duck slow cooked in wine and toseed with a red sauce! Outstanding, and the Barbera did a fine job of opening up as we progressed through this part of the meal. It was getting buiser and as time went on we saw long breaks between courses, then next was a lamb chop with a sprig of asparagus and on top a pile of mashed potatoes infused with porcini mushrooms, surrounded by a pool of fresh marinara sauce. Wow! Again a hit and at this point we were ready for desseert, but much to our surprise that would not be the next course. Instead, al dente steaks of squid on garlicky spinach and white beans! My dad thought with his eyes closed he might mistake it for real steak though I thought it had just a tinge of a fish quality not over done but right on. Very rich and more than the 2 small pieces we had I think would have pushed us over the edge. Finally desert, having finished our wine we had a small pour of a Vin Santo de Sangiovese that was the most beautiful pinkish hue! Our desert was of tiramisu and pistachio custard where the pistachios’s out weighed the custard. You couldn’t picka better ending to a meal. So with a quick coffee to round it out we had just finished one memeorable dinner on what was to be my last night out in Minneapolis for a long time. Thank you ma and pa!

Superbowl Sunday

Tired and anxious I decided to meet Elly out for one last breakfast. After much debate we ended up at Café 28 a local restaurant a friend owns near by where Gab and I lived the past few years. Perfect is all I have to say, a fitting way to say goodbye though we did the goodbyes in the parking lot of the Target store in St.Louis Park. I needed to pick up some last minute things and Elly needed to get a few things too, so that is where the last hug tookplace, I’ll miss her, she’s supported me through some hard times, and shared a lot of good ones. I can’t wait to see her again and know that she will always be in my heart. The superbowl was a blur barring the sweet gesture of Gab by sending a friend with a bottle of wine for a good bye gift! Moet Chandon White Star, always good and always a nice way to wrap things up. So today I made the last of my phone calls, including Grandma Anderson who wondered what I might do in Greece, at the least she realized that I was going and it was good to talk to her one last time. Rushing forth the next few hours were a blur, not much to report other than that I didn’t get a good chance to say goodbye to the parents as we were at the drop off spot and they don’t like you to linger….For them I say thank you for putting up with me one last time, for any extended length. You both made my last month easy, and I only havfe one hope, that the next time I visit your freezer will be full of Un-salted butter and Fresh stock!!! Thank you both and know that I love you very much!

All that is left is my flight, uneventful other than a louds pair of twin babies, I didn’t get any sleep and needed it dearly, as I type waiting for my connecting flight to Madrid the room is spinning and I feel like I might fall off my seat. Stress and excitement fill me and I look forward to the first deep kiss from my sweetie/lover/ and best friend. This is it a start to a whole new life. Walking through the airport in Amsterdam I realized that It’s a different world, no more English as a given, I see this as a plus in most respects but my experience in Brasil is washing up on me as I remember the struggles, though worth while they were never easy. Thanks to everyone for the support you’ve shown and I can’t wait to see what the future holds. The roller coaster ride has officially begun, hold your hands high, scream a little, but remember go with the flow, the safety bar(my friends and family) won’t let me fail! Gab here I come!!!! Love you

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home