Tuesday, March 15, 2005

A thought

Strange things move you when you’re out of your safe zone.

Sometimes it’s a phrase someone says to you.

Sometimes a smell.

Today I was on the Metro coming home from my Spanish class. Crowded no, but busy. I stood in the middle of car where there was no wall to lean on. This is a problem when the bus moves and makes it hard to keep from falling. Around me were business men and a pair of girls having a flirt session with a of pair boys on the opposite side of the car. I was trying to keep from being annoyed, not knowing what to do with myself, having completed my one task for the day. I wasn’t feeling sad, maybe frustrated or just lonely. Looking up I saw my stop was next. As the train slowly came to a stop I lifted the handle to open the door. Suddenly I was hit with a scent. Out of place and without context it made me inhale deeply, something one normally does not try to do while in the Metro. For a moment I was wrapped in the perfume of my mom’s sun tea, fresh off the porch poured over ice and with a dash of sugar. Where it came from I do not know but it left a smile as it faded into the stale metro air.

Sometimes the simplest things make life easier.

3 Comments:

At 3/16/2005 09:32:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aye, Ryan, I enjoy your writings. You are taken care of and this was a nice gift to move you along in your day.

I am using Susan's name for the moment as I have not created my own.

Ok, here is the name and address for Aldo. He is the foreing exchange student who lived with the family for a period of time. He is from Uruguay and now living in Spain. I have sent him your blog address.

Aldo Roncagliolo
aldo@leukon.com
Alicante, Spain

Greetings Gab ... Keep the feet moving, awareness tuned and joy in your heart.

The best to the two of you.

Denny

 
At 3/17/2005 06:32:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ryan, sorry to hijack your blog but we seem to have misplaced the note you sent with your email address. I was out of the country (Shanghai) when you sent the note about leaving and you were gone by the time I got back - I wish I had a chance to stop by and say good-bye. Anyway, it looks like you're enjoying things in Spain and learning how to adjust to another place/culture. You put some thought into your postings - kind of reminds me of my trips to Europe (including the chip-eater)!

Take care and all the best with your journey. Oh, and get yourself to Belgium and drink your way across the country!

-Ken

 
At 3/17/2005 01:28:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ryan - Loved reading about the smell of tea! Made me miss you all the more...glad it brought a smile to your face. Getting dumped with lots of snow tonight so so sun tea for awhile. LOL XXOO Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home